Monday, November 10, 2014

3rd post


Dr McFarland helped me to identify this Actinosphaerium sp from this picture. We used (Patterson 169 fig. 395) to identify this species.


We also identified this Difflugia sp. (Patterson 96 fig. 187)


This was the best picture I could get of this Epalxis sp. (Patterson 141 fig. 311)


Dr. McFarland and I were also able to take a picture of and identify this Ostracoda, also known as a seed shrimp. (Rainis & Russell 211 fig. 1)


It was cool to watch this Vorticella sp. tip spin extremely fast. (Patterson 113 fig. 232) A video would have been ideal to show the behavior of this organism, but a picture will have to do.

The life in my tank seemed to be moving less than the last time I was able to observe it. The nematodes seem to have matured and grown, in which case they slow down and do not move around as much.

No comments:

Post a Comment